Energia!


It is getting cold here, and I love it! I am thinking of our friends in the East, who are still suffering the wrath of "IcE", I am sure they would love some of our mild California weather.

With that said, the cold brings on a natural instinct to "hibernate" in me :). I want to sleep, unfortunately not at night, but at the most inconvenient moments of the day. One of my favorite herbalists is Susun Weed, she is my mentor. I am beginning my cycle of Nettles again for "energy", so here is an excerpt about Nettles from her website:

Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) is my favorite energizing infusion. It gives me the energy to work 14-15 hours a day on my dairy goat farm, train my apprentices, write books, run a publishing company and a workshop center, and fly all over the world to teach. I don't know how I could do so much otherwise.

I buy dried stinging nettle and prepare it like this:

1. Put 1 ounce by weight in a quart canning jar.
2. Fill the jar with boiling water, cap well, and allow to steep for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Strain and enjoy.
4. Refrigerate the remainder.
5. Drink within 36 hours.

Because stinging nettle strengthens the kidneys and adrenals, it builds powerful energy from the inside out, and gives one amazing stamina. If you drink 4-5 quarts of nettle infusion weekly, you can expect to see results within 3-6 weeks.

There are no contraindications to the use of stinging nettle infusion. Side effects may include: thicker hair, softer skin, stronger veins, and greater delight in life.

Nourishing herbal infusions can be made with other herbs too. I like red clover blossoms, lots of anticancer protection there, as well as lots of phytoestrogens. And oatstraw, such a mellow brew, and it's so great for easing and nourishing the nerves. I also use chickweed, comfrey leaf, linden blossoms, and mullein as infusion herbs, depending on my need.

All nourishing herbal infusions are made as instructed above.


I am not a creature of habit, so the "consistancy" is my challenge. But I did a round of Nettles before, and must say they made me feel a lot better after about 2 weeks. I make the infusion at night before going to bed, and drink it the next day. You can get excellent organic herbs (only use organic, you really don't want to injest the pesticides that regular herbs can give you.) at Mountain Rose Herbs, the prices are great, and so are they. They also carry wonderful spices, you will notice the difference to storebought ones the second you open your box. Love the cinnamon!!

I recently ordered new herbs and began stocking up my pantry so that I can continue my studies and make more concoctions. I experimented last night with Irish Moss, making a Mermaid lotion. When it was done, my kitchen smelled like Fisherman's Wharf in San Fransisco, and not in a good way :)..I tried the lotion and smelled like a dead fish. Rex thought I was very lickable, I probably reminded him of his favorite salmon treat. Yuck. I have tried to mask it with some essential oil, as the lotion itself is wonderful and seems to do my skin well. We will see.

I am trying to make a natural hair pomade for my kids. If you have any secret family recipes that you would like me to dissect, please email them to me :). I will keep you posted on further experiments.

What I am grateful for: My friends, who are encouraging me to pursue my passions.

What I am manifesting: Money. Yep, just like that. Money

Labels: , , , ,