Great Cookie Challenge - Ugly, but fabulous!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I went on a date, and he took me to see "Julie & Julia"! Isn't he fab??

I loved the concept of taking one recipe a day and blogging about it....I love Julia Childs for her quirky self. I could never commit to blogging about one recipe a day for a year (can you imagine!), but can certainly do ONE a WEEK!

On a recent thrift store treasure score, I found "The Great Big Cookie Book" by Hilaire Walden. Over 200 recipes :). So the kids and I are going to sacrifice ourselves and try at least one new recipe each week and share our pros & cons with you. And the recipe, of course :).

Applesauce Cookies
Makes 36
1 pound cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used applesauce)
3 tbls water
1/2 c sugar (I used 1/4)
1/2 c butter or margarine (butter only in this family!)
1 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (we used almost 1 :)...we love cinnamon!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking sola
pinch of salt
1/2 chopped walnuts
1. Cook the apples with the water in a covered saucepan over low heat until teh apple is tender. Cool slightly, then puree in a blender or mash with a fork. Measure out 1/4 cup.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a baking sheet. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until well mixed. Beat in the applesauce.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into the mixture, and stir to blend. Fold in the chopped nuts.
4. Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, until they are golden brown. Transfer onto a wire rack and cool.

Ok, our cookies were pretty flat, not round and brown like the ones in the book (B says they are not REAL cookies! :)..). But oh, are they yummy! They are not even completely cool, and we have eaten most of them (We DO have to test them, aye?).

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,